(1)Sikhism is a practical religion .It does not consists in a certain set of beliefs or mere words .Religion does not imply wandering to shrines and tombs , or following austerities of Yogis .Sikhism is a way of life ,something to be lived to a pattern .Its main virtue is simplicity .There is no super naturalism or mythology on which it rests .It does not believe in devils or angels or heavenly spirits.
(2) Sikhism is a universal religion .
(3) Sikhism is opposed to all ritualism and formalism .
(4) Sikhism does not enjoin blind faith .Blind obedience to an external authority is discouraged .The death of the intellect can not be a condition of the life of the spirit .Faith does not start with surmises or absurdities .
(5)Sikhism is a faith of hope and cheer .Though it affirms Karma ,it recognises the possibility of the modification of one's Karma with the grace of the Guru or God .It does not lead to despair and defeatism .
(6) Sikhism is a democratic religion .The decisions of the Sangat are regarded as resolutions having the force of law (Gurmata )Guru Gobind Singh Sahib vested the authority of the organization in the Panth .
Sikhism , the youngest of the world religions ,is barely five hundred years old .Its founder ,Guru Nanak Dev Ji ,was born in 1469 .Guru Nanak Dev Ji spread a simple message of "Ek OnKar "-it means ,we all are one ,created by the One Creator of all Creation .His followers began to be called as Sikhs (learners ).He opposed superstition ,rituals ,social inequality , injustice ,renunciation and hypocrisy .
He infused his own consciousness into a disciple ,who then became Guru ,subsequently passing the light on to the next ,and so on .Each one of the ten Gurus represents a divine attribute .
(1)Guru Nanak Dev Ji -Humility
(2) Guru Angad Dev Ji -Obedience
(3)Guru Amar Das Ji -Equality
(4) Guru Ram Das Ji -Service
(5) Guru Arjan Dev Ji -Self Sacrifice
(6) Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji -Justice
(7 )Guru Har Rai Ji -Mercy
(8) Guru Harkrishan Sahib Ji -Purity
(9 )Guru Tegh Bahadur Singh Ji -Tranquility
(10) Guru Gobind Singh Ji -Royal Courage
Guru Gobind Singh Ji ,the Tenth Guru ,exemplified the Sikh ideal of the Saint -Soldier .He created the Khalsa , a spiritual brotherhood and sisterhood devoted to purity of thought and action .He gave the Khalsa a distinctive external form to remind them of their commitment ,and to help them maintain an elevated state of consciousness .Every Sikh baptized as Khalsa vows to wear the Five "K's"(Panj Kakaars).Guru Gobind Singh Ji was an inspired and prolific writer ,courageous warrior , and a source of Divine Wisdom to his Sikhs ."When all other means have failed "he said ,only then it is righteous to take up the sword."He was the defender of the poor ,and the oppressed masses of India.